Monday, March 26, 2007

Coming Soon to a Town Near You

I’ve been in India for seven months. I’m leaving Wednesday.

It’s time.

It’s not that I’m tired of India. I mean, I am, a little. I’m tired of the heat and the traffic. I’m tired of bugs. I’m tired of salespeople shadowing me when I shop and restaurants that take reservations for 6:30 but don’t open until 7. I’m really tired of rice.

But minor annoyances aren’t the reason I’m leaving. I’m heading back to the U.S. because there’s stuff I wanna do there. I came to India because there was stuff I wanted to do here. I did that stuff. I learned more than I planned on learning. I took more than I’d hoped to take. I found teachers and friends and both in one.

I’ve scratched off everything on the India to-do list. Travel: check. Unwind: check. Find self: check. Buy bangles: check.

(If you didn’t know already, I’m an obsessive list maker, a trait I owe to my mom. I’ve juggled as many as a dozen lists at a time. Here’s a partial list of ‘em: shopping list; errand list; to-do list at the office; to-do list at home; and lists of gift ideas, movies to watch, books to read, places to visit and yoga poses to practice. I’ve been known to kick off slumber parties with: “Ladies, I’m making a list of all the topics we need to cover.”)

Here’s what I want to do when I get back to the States. I want to keep the “I’d rathers” at bay. As much as possible, I want to be where I’d rather be. I want to spend the bulk of my days doing things I care about, things that interest me, things that challenge me, things that maybe help a person or two. I don’t know if I can do that. I mean, a girl needs health insurance, not to mention the occasional hot stone massage. But I’m going to try. I have some ideas.

I miss America. I’ve never been a patriot, but, dang, it’s a mighty fine place to live. It’s a Choose Your Own Adventure life. India, I love you, but your codes of conduct – family honor and whatnot – don’t sit well. You’re too quick to cast out. Too unforgiving.

I miss mundane things like clothes dryers, pillow-top mattresses, sidewalks and lettuce. I miss sushi and sake and anonymity. I miss hugging and that cheek-kiss thing they do in New York. (There’s not much touching in India, except between male buddies.) I miss stretch fabrics.

I’m looking forward to getting off the plane at LAX, where Heather will be waiting. I’m going to give her a long hug. I’m going to turn on the fancy seat warmers in her fancy car, roll down the windows and breath clean-ish air. I’m going to prance around town in tank top and shades, and nobody will notice me. I’ll reap one of the greatest rewards of seeing the world: seeing my world with fresh eyes. I’ll drink tap water because I can. I’ll visit my friends and my tax accountant (big money, Larry, BIG MONEY). I’ll eat salad!

After about a week, I’ll get behind the wheel of my gold Buick and drive across the country. I’ll take in the national parks and the Wal-Marts; the truck stops and Tommy Hilfiger outlets; several dozen McDonald’s arches and twice that many Starbucks seals. I’ve told some friends along the way to leave a light on for me.

So much has changed since I left in August. One friend got married, and another got divorced. Two friends got pregnant, a third got into grad school, and a few got new jobs. One had a baby girl; one had a heart attack and died. I want to be there for the next batch.

I’ll post some photos and my U.S. tour calendar in the coming weeks. Thank you for reading. A bigger thank you for writing. See ya soon.

14 Comments:

Blogger gryphon said...

Don't forget the Ben & Jerry's! Hope you have a good trip back - let us know if you'll be in MN, although it's not really on the way to anywhere except the frozen tundra of the north! BTW, do you remember meeting Mike over sushi? His film is now out nationwide - called Pride - four years later!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your adventurous spirit never ceases to amaze me. I'm glad India was what you needed it to be. I'm glad that Skype exists; however, I CANNOT wait for you to get back here so I can say, welcome home! Love, AJ

8:37 PM  
Blogger Muffin's Mom said...

Wait - does this mean you won't be writing here anymore?!?!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you and welcome you to your (chicago) home!
Regina

12:24 AM  
Blogger Nadine Fawell said...

And so, on to the next page in the gripping adventure that is your life. Well done for making it happen, and thank you for writing about it! Hope to hear all the good stuff about Chapter 12 (are we one Chapter 12?)

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said hon!! I am looking forward to your next superhero adventures wee bit badass!!

I can't wait to give you that BIG HUGE AWESOME welcome back hug...as we make our way to sushi and sake ASAP. take that India!
kisses, Ioana
PS Got bangles
PPS India will miss you, but at least we have our little metal tins and spoons for chai masala.. it's a tradeoff.

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!!! I can't wait to hear all about your amazing adventure. Make sure to come to NYC soon...

10:22 AM  
Blogger Badass said...

I'm not sure if I'll keep blogging. If I do, I may have to change the blog name. Nothing badass -- not even a wee bit -- about living in mom's basement in Pittsburgh :)

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't wait till you are an hour away...India will miss their girl with the lovely red locks... But I, selfish bastard, am so excited to have you home...love, sun

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've loved reading your blog through your adventures in india. thanks for keeping up with it...and can't wait to hear all about your adventures cross-country!

most of all - can't wait to see you!
love,
michelle

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you swing through your old harrisburg stomping grounds, look me up. and you're not the only blogger i know...

http://letterstomytwingirls.blogspot.com/index.html

dan

7:09 PM  
Blogger Recy Vintage & Creations said...

I admire that you have been in India for seven months. I tell myself that I LOVE to travel but don't get to do it a lot. Lucky for me, I also love to be at home. :) I do like to be adventurous but adventure can come in so many forms, I find.

I know it will be great for you to be back in the States and back to seeing friends and doing things here that mean a lot to you. So much to get done! Enjoy!

Namaste,

Karen Beth :)
http://zazazu.wordpress.com/

9:31 AM  
Blogger K Dubya said...

I think, if it's possible, you are even more fabulous, more beautiful, and more inspiring to me than you have ever been for fulfilling this goal.

Reading this, I think of how I couldn't stop myself from breaking into a SPRINT toward you when I saw you arriving at Muffin's birthday party. It feels so good to have you home, among us, and I hope that feels good to you too!

love ya Kid. welcome home. On to the next goal...

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really time for me to have an adventure! - Kyle

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home