Thursday, February 22, 2007

Know What I Wish

“It’s almost your birthday,” Amanda said to me during one of our Skype chats. My birthday was 40 days away. I’ve trained my friends well. (See appendix for Anna-to-English dictionary of birthday terminology.)

A few days earlier, and partly because my birthday was coming up, I’d updated my Amazon “wish list.” I tossed in a bunch of yoga books, deleted the Cuisipro Donvier Electronic Yogurt Maker (because, really, who has time to make yogurt?) and moved a couple of must-haves to my shopping cart. And then it struck me: where to mail these must-haves? My default address was an apartment in California I’d vacated half a year earlier.

I looked at the other addresses in my Amazon account. There was the LA address of a company I no longer work for and the Brooklyn address of the pad I shared with Amanda and Sash. There were three Jersey addresses: the house I fixed up with Jason, the tiny apartment I lived in before that, and the hotel where my ex-employer put me up when I moved to the Garden State.

I’ve lived in more than a dozen cities. The addresses span three continents, eight U.S. states and Washington DC. It’s why I draw a blank every time someone asks, “Where are you from?”

I’ll never get tired of seeing the world. I think I’ll always travel. But these days, the first item on my wish list is a permanent address, a place to put the baubles I bring back.

A little while ago I found myself at Chennai’s Home Store, a giant furniture and housewares retailer à la Crate and Barrel. I didn’t need anything. I wandered through every department, caressing throw pillows, comparing kitchen gadgets, sniffing scented candles. Most of my belongings are stacked in a shed, stuffed in a car trunk or sitting in friends’ homes. I’m a home accents junkie without a home.

In the end, I changed my default address to my mom’s place in Pittsburgh. It’s the closest thing to home. It’s where I’ll head when I return to the States at the end of March. And, ahem, it’s where all birthday gifts should be sent.

Appendix
“My birthday is coming up.” . . . . . It’s 6-8 weeks away.
“It’s almost my birthday.” . . . . . It’s 4-6 weeks away.
“What’d you get me?” . . . . . It’s 2-4 weeks away.
“It’s my birthday!” . . . . . It’s up to 2 weeks away.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you just posted this entry... I was looking through my (way too busy, unfortunately work related) calendar, and there it was "Anna's Birthday"! Considering how close it is to your homecoming and the fact that Fredneck is ohhh so close to Pitt-world, I think we shall give it a try... Maybe we can go out for some Indian food???

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I started reading the entry, I was concerned that you weren't going to provide an address for birthday baubles..thank goodness, I was wrong. HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY. Love, Amanda

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna,

“What’d you get me?”

73s,

Roberto

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so cute! could I borrow your appendix for my bday.. it seems very handy!!!

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home