Tuesday, January 23, 2007

To Ted

I was about to start my yoga practice when the call came yesterday. That is to say, I was leaping and twirling around my room. Lately, I’ve been kicking off my practices by dancing wildly to a particular Fatboy Slim song. It’s surprising that I heard the phone at all.

Chitra sounded down – someone-died down – and I turned off the music the moment I heard her voice. Someone had died. Our friend and former editor Ted, dead of a heart attack at 55.

Ted didn’t look like a guy who would die of a heart attack. He was slim and shaggy-haired. He often wore cowboy boots and a screw-The-Man smirk. You could tell by looking at him that he’d had more fun than you in his youth. You could tell he had a better CD collection.

I met Ted when we worked together in New Jersey. We kept in touch after I transferred to LA. When I visited our East Coast offices, we’d grumble and gossip and grumble some more. He’d offer his house for a welcome-back bash. I quit in August. Ted stayed with the company; he had the house and a teen-age son and a sweet salary that kept him in shackles.

Because I’m so far away, his death doesn’t seem real. I picture Ted at his desk, not in a box. I won’t be there for the viewing or memorial service, so I asked a friend to bring a flower for me. Ted was into flora. And birds. He was really into birds.

I didn’t finish my dance number yesterday. I couldn’t bring myself to bop around. Instead, as I started my practice, I cranked up “Amo la Vida,” a Spanish song whose title means “love the life.” Because Ted did.

6 Comments:

Blogger Muffin's Mom said...

Wow, 55 is scary young to die of a heart attack. I'm so sorry.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, I don't know what to say other than this sucks...so young. I am so sorry. Love, Amanda

8:01 AM  
Blogger gryphon said...

Sorry for your loss. I just spent the day with a 4 year old who has cancer and is on his 6th chemo treatment before a bone marrow transplant so hopefully Ted had a good 55 years! http://www.petereigner.com/
Bj

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What made him so special... you said what I couldn't. Thanks hun.
-Chitra

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right about it all. He had forgotten more about having fun that most of us would ever learn. He had found an inner peace that left people like me walking away after our smoke breaks, scratching my head, realizing I had shit to figure out.

How'd you figure it out so soon?

Thanks for writing this. Glad you're happy and free, where you belong, not in a cubicle, where I am right now.

C. Thompson

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, crying now. thanks for this. he will be missed.
-amp

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home