Friday, September 22, 2006

Protein

I’ve been eating ants.

I first noticed them a few days ago. They were on my kitchen table, tiny ones. Sometimes, as I ate breakfast or lunch, I’d find one crawling on my leg and flick it off. I couldn’t tell whence they came or what they were after. I figured the maid had missed a sticky spot.

Yesterday, I poured muesli into a cup. It was the last bit in the box, more crumbs than crunchy oat clusters. Muesli is my favorite breakfast. And lunch. And sometimes dinner. A box lasts less than a week in my home, which is why I ignore this instruction on the side: "Open and pour into an airtight container.”

I saw them just before I poured the milk. They were rising from the oat ashes and scaling a lonely raisin. They didn’t look altogether unappetizing. My body, weary of a cuisine based on rice, craves protein. I threw the muesli away, but only after I thought about it.

Save an ant. Send tuna.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you loving the food though? are you eating curries, or dosas and having lots of spicy chai? tell us what your diet consists of.. and are you avoiding water and ice unless bottled, raw veggies, etc? or now that you've been there longer, have you been relaxing the rules?
yours,
OTP
as you know.. this comment is no surprise! i love food and love to hear about what others have on their plates :)

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why no meat? Are you not able to eat it, or is it just not available?

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's awesome that you are so relaxed about eating ants even if it is under the guise of missing protein. I almost had a panic attack when I found a half eaten worm in my apple last year. Love, AJ

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you have proper posture/form when throwing out the ants?

7:21 PM  
Blogger Badass said...

I've added "ant disposal asana" to my daily yoga practice, Milton. Hoping to master it soon.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home