Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sight to Behold

In Mamallapuram, a seaside town about 60 km south of Chennai, there’s a 1400-year-old temple on a grassy promontory. There are six more beneath the sea.

G. Kutty has seen them.

Kutty’s not a scuba diver. He’s a stone-carving student and part-time tour guide. On a day in December 2004, he rode his scooter to the beach to see what everyone was talking about.

“No one knows what means `tsunami.’ People say, `Water coming up. Water coming up.’ So I went to see.”

Kutty saw the water coming up. He saw it recede. In the moments before Kutty fled Mamallapuram, he glimpsed ancient shrines swallowed by the sea centuries ago.

Here’s what I saw Sunday, when I visited Mamallapuram with three classmates.








6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful... I am so proud of you, you have officially seen more of India than I ever have. love, Sun

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, I really really really really wanna go there. looking into flights :)

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was me, OTP in case you couldn't guess.
my listeners won't miss me, i can post from India!

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, looks beautiful. So did the tsunami cause any damage? It doesn't look like it.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi miss Anna. It sounds like you are having such an exciting time. I miss you. I will need to call you and catch up... but then I wonder, would I be interrupting the solitude!

12:32 AM  
Blogger Badass said...

Sash, there were several tsunami deaths in Mamallapuram, but the Shore Temple remained intact.

Helo - Call!! Solitude schmolitude.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home