Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Shoulda Listened to Babushka

I learned a lot in my first two weeks at Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram. I learned how to take a pulse. I learned oodles of Sanskrit words. I learned a breathing technique that promotes weight loss. (Relax, ladies, I’ll show you when I get back.)

I also learned that I’m a mess.

My right shoulder is higher than the left. My left leg is stronger than the right. My lower back is feeble and excessively concave; my upper back is a tad too rounded. My breath is shallow.

After years of fretting about the size of my butt, I’m realizing it’s the least of my problems. (I’ve also concluded that my butt is actually smaller than it appears. The concavity of my lower back creates the illusion of a large caboose.)

The worst part is, I’m to blame for my crookedness. I’m warped from years of sitting like a lady, one leg wrapped around the other, and standing like a runway model, hips askew. I’m paying for watching TV on my stomach, shrugging phone receivers to my ear and craning forward at computers. My grandmother, bless her heart, used to nag me about my weighty knapsacks. I was a bookworm and a back-talker. “How do you expect me to get good grades if I don’t bring home my books?” I’d retort. Babushka was right.

My consolation: Most of us are messed up. Some problems are inherited and others, acquired. One of my teachers at KYM has diabetes. Another has asthma. When I look around the classroom, I see bodies fit for magazines. Close inspection reveals kinks. He compensates for tight shoulders by arching his back. She compensates for a weak lower back by puffing out her chest. From a distance, we’re Michelangelos. Up close we’re all Dalis.

The good news is, babushka wasn’t completely right. I won’t end up a hunchback. What I learned in the first two weeks is that I’m fixable. Most of us are.

I’ll stop there, one step short of my yoga soapbox.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine what kind of kinks my body would reveal... Ha - Maybe you can tell me when you get back.

Now that I come to think about it I cross my legs too!!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so hard to combat bad posture and the way you carry yourself, because you have to be aware of it every second in order to correct it. That's not very realistic for most of us, but you're in the best situation possible to make it happen. I hope you do!

PS. You do not have a big butt.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to chuckle to myself when, as I read your line about "craning forward in front of computer," I noticed that *I* was craning forward in front of my computer. Sigh...
Please oh please share your wisdom with all of us when you return!!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you really going to make me wait for the breathing technique for when you come back? Nice. Love, AJ

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sitting here trying to imagine Babushka giving you posture advice while she simultaneously taunts and harasses her next door neighbor. Love, AJ

1:39 AM  
Blogger emigre said...

I've seen these posture-correcting boots from Earth and own a pair. They take a while to get used to, but they do make you walk differently, almost as if you were walking on sand. There are good deals on them on eBay.

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home