Saturday, November 25, 2006

Here’s How the Story Ends

We had turkey.

I hate to reveal how a story ends before it’s even begun, but keeping you in suspense would be cruel. Cruel like the season 2 finale of “Grey’s Anatomy.” That kind of cruelty has no place on Thanksgiving. So I’m telling you now: We had turkey.

I like Thanksgiving. I look forward to it the way I look forward to birthdays, and anyone who knows me knows that’s a pathological level of looking forward. I started bugging my American friends in Chennai -- all two of them -- at least three weeks ago. “What are we gonna do for Thanksgiving? What are we gonna do?”

I don’t have Thanksgiving traditions. My family immigrated to the U.S. when I was 5, and Thanksgiving didn’t immediately translate. We were eaters of borscht and baklava. Squash soup and pumpkin pie seemed … mushy. I embraced them in time, though not as quickly as I embraced Barbie, Boy George and all things jelly: jelly shoes, jelly bracelets, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

We were guests, never hosts, and I witnessed a dozen Thanksgiving traditions. There was the family that watched football. The family that played touch football. The family with the Thanksgiving-off: a potluck meal at which every dish was critiqued and scored, a winner crowned.

The common denominator was turkey.

Turkeys aren’t indigenous to India, and they’re far more expensive than chickens. You don’t see turkey on menus or in stores. Which is why no one had an easy answer for my question: “What are we gonna do?”

Scott knew of a turkey. Kidnapping schemes were discussed. The plot fizzled when we spoke of feathers and butchers.

We got our first major lead on Monday, when we went to a Harlem Globetrotters game. On their third and last night in Chennai, the Globetrotters played to an almost empty stadium. Basketball, like turkey, doesn’t suit the Indian palate. My crowd of eight cheered as loudly as possible for a game whose outcome is rigged. The vendors hawked samosas and masala popcorn; we wished for beer.


At halftime, Scott, his wife, Padma, and I “snuck” into the VIP section. Nobody tried to stop us as we crawled through barriers and hopped over railings. Maybe it’s because Tamil Nadu’s turbaned governor left with his posse shortly after the halftime photo op. Maybe it’s because Scott and I are white, and in India that means VIP.

We arrived on the podium several minutes before the third quarter and made a beeline for David Hopper. Mr. Hopper is the U.S. consul general in Chennai. We introduced ourselves and made small talk. Then we got to the meat of the matter (pun totally intended).

“We were wondering where we could get a turkey for Thanksgiving,” Scott said.

The next day, the diplomat e-mailed me a name: “Tamil Nadu Veterinary & Animal Sciences University, Poultry Research Station.” I didn’t like the sound of it, but we were short on options. Padma volunteered to make the call.

“They asked if I wanted it alive or dressed,” she told me Wednesday morning.

“Dressed?”

“As in deprived of feathers.”

Dressed sounded like a good idea. And the price was right: 120 rupees a kilo. Translated into American, that’s about $18 for a 15-pound bird.

We had another problem: I don’t have an oven. Scott and Padma don’t have an oven. No one we know has an oven. That’s because Indians aren’t bakers. They fry, sauté, steam, fry, simmer and fry. Also, they fry. Their breads are flatbreads, and their desserts are sugary, no-bake confections. That left one cooking option for our gobbler: deep fry.

Wednesday night brought a new lead in the form of a text message: “My friend can deliver u a turkey 2morro if u want.”

Several minutes later, another text message: “It is already cooked. Honey roasted in fact!”

Touchdown. The third message from my flatmate Nathan said “Harry,” followed by a phone number. I called Harry right away.

Harry is an Anglo-Indian who works at the American International School. Harry has a contact at a food-processing plant outside Chennai.

“They are raising all the fowls,” he told me. “They cook the whole thing and give it. It comes nicely packed.”

I imagined a turkey-shaped insulated delivery bag. It would probably need reheating, I thought. No matter. We have a toaster oven.

“I’ll take one,” I told him.

Thursday morning, a flurry of activity. A driver was sent to fetch the turkey from the school. He carried 2,200 rupees, or about $48, to pay for a 10-pound bird. (Cooked turkeys don’t come cheap.) Scott and I sketched out a menu over Skype. Stuffing sounded like a tricky affair. A call was placed to Chennai’s recently opened KFC. Stuffing? Negative. Invitations were extended to half a dozen non-Americans. Shopping lists were drafted. I made a preemptive trip to the gym.

The turkey was waiting when I walked in my door around 4:30 p.m. It was roasted, alright. Roasted, wrapped in plastic and frozen -- solid. Date of packing: 15 Nov.

“Harry, the bird is frozen solid.”

“Yes?”

“Harry, it’s 5 o’clock on Thanksgiving Day. What am I supposed to do with a block of turkey?”

Harry’s plan involved a bucket of hot water. My Thanksgiving plan didn’t involve a cold, barely thawed bird. He promised a refund. I called off dinner. The 16 chocolate croissants Padma had ordered for dessert arrived. She, Scott and I munched on them as we mulled our options.

In the end, we three piled on Scott’s motorcycle and went to the only place we knew we’d find turkey: the Taj, a five-star hotel popular with business travelers. Its all-you-can-eat Thanksgiving feast was expensive, but it was the only game in town. We loaded our plates with turkey and trimmings. The house band, a Colombian foursome, belted “Baby One More Time” and other karaoke staples between Spanish numbers. Football played on a flatscreen TV behind the band. It might have made me nostalgic for Thanksgivings past, except it wasn’t American football. Mid-meal, it was replaced by pro wrestling.

“This is kinda depressing,” Padma noted.

I felt awfully grateful nonetheless.

14 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

You have Globetrotters but no turkey? That is so weird. For Christmas are you going to look for a Honey-baked ham or another turkey?

10:25 AM  
Blogger Badass said...

Yeah, Globetrotters but no turkey. I wonder how the Globetrotters spent Thanksgiving. They had a game in Kerala on Thanksgiving eve... As for Christmas, I don't eat ham, and turkey is a once-a-year affair. We'll see what Santa brings :)

10:39 AM  
Blogger Muffin's Mom said...

This is HILARIOUS. Isn't this how drugs are scored?

So what did you do with the turkey in the end?

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zach and I cooked - in my mom's convection oven. She had had it for two years, but could not tell us what the "u", "l", and "m" settings meant. Have u ever tried a microwaved turkey?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Badass said...

So what did you do with the turkey in the end?

The turkey stayed in my fridge (vegetable crisper) overnight and was still frozen in the morning. We sent it back to Harry, and he gave our money back. Amazingly enough.

Have u ever tried a microwaved turkey?

I haven't. We don't have a microwave. Microwaved turkey ... sounds atrocious.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love turkey. But even more than the beloved bird, I love salmonella poisoning.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Villain said...

i might not be right, but i know in a lot of villages u get something called the "van Kozhi' which i alwasy assumed was turkey...
give it a shot sometimes maybe thats what it is..
dont blame me if i am wrong, i have not had meat.

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like it was a fabulous adventure.

If I get enough notice, next year I'll send you and Scott and Padma a big bowl of my Apple Sausage and Sage Stuffing.

You'll just need to find a way to heat it up.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The microwaved turkey is a long story...

I think you should write a book on the adventures of finding turkey and coffee in India????

Hmmm... do you have any New year's traditions? I can't wait if you do!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Badass said...

Thanks for the offer, Maurice, and nice to meet you. A friend in LA sent me a care package two months ago, and I still haven't received it. Packages tend to get "lost" in India's postal system, particularly packages with something yummy inside.

Incidentally, I used to work in Harrisburg. I remember a decent Indian restaurant somewhere around the 83 on-ramp...

6:33 PM  
Blogger Villain said...

http://www.madrascafe.us/contactus.htm

thats where u get some real good food...
theres also a place called si ganesh bhavan in lombard, Il thats pretty decent too...

1:55 AM  
Blogger gryphon said...

OMG - you're getting spammed! You must be popular...

I think fried turkey is actually a thing here now - people fry the whole darn bird seeking new ways to discover cancer-causing eating habits, I suppose...

Speaking of borscht, we have a great place here that does that if you're ever in the neighborhood.
B

9:26 AM  
Blogger gryphon said...

ps - I love the globtrotters

9:26 AM  
Blogger gryphon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home